This is a preview of the Group C game between Spain and Italy.
The Defending European Champions will be out for victory tonight
- Spain who are the defending champions, start as second favorites for the tournament ahead of this game with Italy, primarily due to the absences of their 2 influential Barcelona players David Villa and Carles Puyol.
- Spain can take pride that they are one of the few teams to win the Euros and the World Cup back to back, and with most of their core players in tact, they will look to progress through this tournament.
- Spain are starting tonight with a new formation with Torres up front and 3 man attacking midfield of Silva, Iniesta and Xavi with Busquets and Alonso for protection, due to the absence of Villa in the front line.
- Spain have the benefit of having a centre back lineup of all in-form players including Arbeloa, Pique, Ramos and Alba, which will make it extremely hard for opponents to score against them.
- The man to watch out for in these games will be Fernando Torres as he aims to turn around all the negative publicity that has surrounded him over the last few years, including getting dropped from the squad, and turn them into goals and a solid performance on the pitch
- Italy come to this tournament under huge scandal that will definitely rock the boat of the team, as players have been called out of their hotel rooms for discussions and investigations into the possibly match fixing scandal.
- Italy will probably tonight switch to a 3-5-2 formation from a 4-3-2-1 due to the Criscito scandal issue, with Daniel De Rossi going to switch to central defence, and with 3 defenders, I don’t think Buffon will be too thrilled about having less men in front of him especially at his old age
- Balotelli and Cassano will likely start up front, and with both of them not being in the best of form towards the end of the season, things look extremely difficult for the 2 men up-front.
- The Italians have had one friendly before this game, losing 3-0 to Russia, and before that have not won a game since November losing against Russia, USA and Uruguay in those 3 games, denting their confidence ahead of this tournament.
- Spain are the stronger of the 2 sides, with a lot of players in form, and with their new formation, look unlikely to conceded in this game tonight, and should grab the win here today.
Spain to win @ 1.93 (Betfair)