This is a preview of the Group B game between Netherlands and Denmark.
Robin v.Persie will be extremely key to good fortunes of the Dutch
- Netherlands take on Denmark looking to finally deliver on their potential as a top team in the world especially after disappointing in the finals of the World Cup 2010 against Spain.
- Netherlands are the team which probably have complete diversity in the location of their players’ clubs, but this will stand them in good stead as they know how many of the opposition players from all sides they know and understand.
- Many of the Dutch players are coming into this game ahead of some fantastic form for club including the likes of Robin v.Persie, Arjen Robben, Rafael v.der Vaart, Nigel de Jong, Klas-Jaan Huntelaar, Mark van Bommel and Martin Steklenerg.
- Van Persie is already being tipped by many to be the top scorer in this tournament, but his side kick Huntelaar was equally impressive in Germany and this gives Netherlands the advantage of a hot striking partnership.
- The key for Holland will be the defensive midfield partnership of de Jong and van Bommel, that adds a protective layer for the defense, while the front 4 can go for an all out attack.
- Denmark on the other hand have many players who are playing around the scandinavian/dutch territory of Europe and not exposed to more types of football play.
- Bendtner will probably be the lone striker for Denmark, which does not give me much confidence in the Danes as he has not your target man type of striker that you would bank on to score regularly.
- The Danes however, have a good defensive lineup with the likes of Agger, Poulsen, Kjaer and Jacobsen who could prove a stiff target for the Dutch to pass.
- Prior to the game against Australia where they won, the Danes showed how exposed they could be to a fast paced counter attacking team Brazil, and a similar playing style from Russia 4 months ago – where they lost both games.
- The last time the Danes beat the Dutch was 45 years, and the last meeting between the 2 sides resulted in a 2-0 win for Netherlands in World Cup 2010.
Netherlands to win @ 1.80 (Betfair)